The Oscars 2015: predictions

The Oscars 2015: predictions

This year’s Oscar nominees for best picture span across the entire film spectrum. From an American war story to the life Stephen Hawking, each has proved its worth to the Academy. On Sunday February 22nd, Whiplash, American Sniper, Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything and Boyhood will compete for this years best picture award.  The Marquee watched a view of them and made some predictions for a likely winner.

Selma_poster

The Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman both lead the race with a staggering 9 nominations, but other films are considered to the the the frontrunners for this category. The controversy surrounding Selma’s portrayal of President Lyndon B. Johnson has reflected in its underwhelming number of nominations, however it was captivating, and immortalized Martin Luther King Jr.’s work. Though Selma produced a mixed reaction, and is not likely to win, it tells one of the most important stories among all the contenders.

american sniper

American Sniper tells the story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, the deadliest sniper in American history. The film portrayed a human story generating a positive reaction for the picture. Like Selma, American Sniper reflected true events that have shaped American history. Though American Sniper may not take home the best picture prize, it is likely to win another award.

grand budapest hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel was the dark horse among all of the nominees. It surpassed all expectations by tying with Birdman for most nominations. Director Wes Anderson constructs a whimsical world filled with hitmen, witty hotel concierges and desserts worth salivating over. It is not predicted to win best picture, it is the most engaging of the films and will likely take home many other awards.

boyhood

Boyhood, the result of 12 years of acting, filming, and editing, follows the life of a Texan boy. It tells the story of his life from age 6 to 18. Of all the nominees, Boyhood is the most raw and relatable. It is virtually void of unreasonable drama that the film industry often adds. Though it has no discernible climax, Boyhood will most likely take home the best picture prize. Its unique concept sets it apart from the others, increasing its chances to win.

the imitation game

The Imitation Game is the true story of mathematician and inventor Alan Turing. During World War II, Turing worked on a special team tasked with breaking the Nazi secret code, Enigma. The film tells the story of Turing inventing the machine to not only break the code but also set the foundation for what are now modern computers. However, it is equal parts a war movie and gay rights story. Following the war, local police arrested Turing for “indecency,” which at that time meant engaging in homosexual behavior. The Imitation Game is not a likely winner, however Benedict Cumberbatch is a front-runner for Best Actor for his performance as Turing.