Spring break without breaking the bank

Find out what inexpensive activities you should do over spring break
Spring break without breaking the bank
Khailyn Agis

Spring Break is right around the corner, which means a week off from school to do whatever your heart desires. While you may want to immediately begin planning a spontaneous trip to the Florida beaches, actually carrying out a trip can be a huge financial burden, if you can even go without a parent. If you’d rather plan some cheaper and more realistic, but still fun, Spring Break festivities, below are some ideas that won’t break the bank.

Zone action park $$
If you want to enjoy a fun day out with friends, then you should check out Zone Action Park in Lewisville. They have rows of fun arcade games where you can play for prizes, but for those who want to enjoy our first taste of spring weather, they also have two mini golf courses and go-kart racing. The price is a little more expensive at $26.99 for unlimited mini golf and go-karts, but they offer cheaper options depending on how long you plan on staying. There’s always something to keep you busy and entertained.

Drive-in movie $
If you feel like going out but still relaxing, then going to a drive-in movie is perfect for you. Places such as the Coyote Drive-In in Fort Worth, which charges $8 per person, offer a wide range of movie showings and showtimes after dark, guaranteeing that there will be a movie you will find interesting. While the outdoor theater is quite a distance away, the drive there can be part of the fun if you carpool with friends and listen to your favorite songs. Whether you want to go with a group of friends or enjoy the show alone, relaxing in your car with a good film is a perfect way to enjoy a spring night.

GlowZone $$
If you want all of the fun of Zone Action Park but prefer the air conditioning over Texas heat, then you should check out Glow Zone in Lewisville, which charges $15 for an all-day pass and $10 for one hour. The establishment offers tons of activities such as go-karting, mini golf, rock climbing and a laser maze, all in a fun glow in the dark setting. It’s the perfect place to escape the warm spring weather and enjoy an action-packed afternoon with friends.

Picnic $
Sitting in the park with a delicious, home-packed picnic is a great way to relax in the sunshine with friends for free. All you need is a blanket to sit on and some food. You can make your meal as fancy or as simple as you want, but foods such as sandwiches, fruit and chips are always an easy go-to. As for location, Central Park in Lewisville is a great place to spend a warm spring afternoon.

Dog park 
If you have a wild, four-legged best friend that is itching to run around, then you should take your pooch to a local dog park for free. The dog park at Unity Park in Highland Village is perfect, with a large open space and bleachers for you to relax on. Not only will you tire out your pooch, but you’ll also get to meet other people’s dogs, which is always a fun treat.

Day trip to Lewisville Lake 
With the weather finally warming up, a day trip to Lewisville Lake is a fun and cheap way to spend the day. You’ll have to pay different amounts for parking depending on which area of the lake you want to visit, but the price is generally cheap. Whether you want to go out on the water or hang out in the sand, there’s always something fun to do at the lake, especially when you’re with friends.

Thrift shopping $
If you feel like treating yourself over break without draining your bank account, you should consider going thrift shopping. Local thrift stores such as Thrift City, Thrift World and Goodwill, all located on Main Street in Lewisville, offer clothing items of all styles and sizes for prices. If the thought of clothing shopping bores you, most thrift stores have miscellaneous items as well, such as games, books and costume items, so there’s always something for you to find.