Marauders beat McKinney Boyd 26-19

Samson George

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Marauders beat the McKinney Boyd Broncos 26-19 to get their first win of the season at last night’s game.

“When they rang the bell, we answered it,” head coach Kevin Atkinson said. “We matched them score for score.”

The Marauders had the ball to start the first quarter and moved down the field with passing by junior Garrett Nussmeier and a running game by senior Ty’son Edwards. With 10 minutes left in the first quarter, Nussmeier found junior Tyler Schott 33 yards down the field and in the end zone, putting the Marauders ahead 7-0, where they remained for the rest of the quarter.

When they rang the bell, we answered it. We matched them score for score.”

— Kevin Atkinson, Head Coach

The Marauders started the second quarter with an 18 yard field goal, making the score 10-0. The Broncos gave back the ball at their own 37 yard line, setting up a one play drive with Edwards bringing in a 63 yard screen play. This put the Marauders in the lead 17-0 with 8 minutes remaining  in the second. The score stayed the same for the rest of the quarter, ending the first half.

“We are playing physical, better than last week,” safeties coach Brandon Carter said.

McKinney Boyd had the ball to start the third quarter. Ten minutes in, the Broncos went on a six play drive to score in the end zone but failed a fake field goal, making the score 17-6.The Marauders went on a long drive and punted the ball, giving it back to McKinney Boyd. The Broncos then went on a five play drive and scored another touchdown, making the score 17-13 with the Marauders still in the lead to end the third.

The Marauders got the ball back 12 minutes into the fourth quarter after an interception by Zach Ohlemeier. Immediately after, Nussmeier threw a flea flicker to J. Michael Sturdivant for a 46 yard touchdown, making the score 23-13. The Broncos responded back with a hand off,  making the score 23-19 with 9 minutes to go.

Jacob Scott then kicked a clutch field goal for the Marauders. The game ended on an interception by senior Ethan Barr with just 24 seconds left, securing the Marauders’ 26-19 victory.

“Our defensive-line got pressure on the [quarterback],” Barr said. “I dropped off my receiver and I caught the ball.”

The team will return to the field next Friday at 7 p.m. for their home opener against the Waxahachie Indians.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email