The Marquee Halloween’s Guide

The Marquee Halloweens Guide

Do it yourself: Halloween edition

While Halloween is only days away, it’s not too late to make a DIY costume. Instead of spending money on a costume you’ll wear once, head to your favorite clothing store — whether it’s Target, Walmart or a thrift store — and buy items to make a quick and re-wearable costume. You don’t need to be a master crafter to craft your own costume.

Fortnite

Fortnite is inarguably the biggest game of 2018 with over 100 million downloads, so it makes sense that this Halloween Fortnite will be the biggest trend. While some of the more detailed “skins” — special outfits for your Fortnite characters — are available at Spirit Halloween, the well-known default characters are easy to cheaply DIY. With an oversized pickaxe you’ll be so clearly Fortnite even parents will probably know exactly what you’re dressed up as.

The Fortnite default costumes are simple — for girls, just wear a grey tank top, aviator sunglasses, camo pants and combat boots, and for guys wear an army green tank top, beige camo pants, and tie a large light green bandana around your neck. To make an oversized pickaxe, cut out a pickaxe shape from poster board or balsa wood and paint with silver and brown craft paint.

Why stop at just the costumes? Easily throw a Halloween party based on the iconic game by getting at 17.5’ battle bus inflatable outside your house and have guests hit a Loot Llama Pinata. Add several drops of blue food coloring to Sprite to make a Shield Potion Punch, and have sliced apples. Since Fortnite isn’t a couch co-op game, play Fortnite Monopoly during your party.

Couple’s Costume: Jurassic Park

While the newest Jurassic World movie just came out this summer, the original Jurassic Park movie will always remain iconic. For a cute couple’s (or individual) costume, dress up as everyone’s favorite paleontologist and paleobotanist using items that may already be in your closet!

Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dr. Sattler’s outfit is simple: just wear some high waisted chino shorts, and tuck in a blue tank top. Tie an oversized, pink button down shirt around your waist, and finish the outfit with some boots.

Dr. Alan Grant: Dr. Grant wears a simple blue button down shirt, and khaki pants. The red bandana, which can be purchased from Hobby Lobby, makes the costume easily recognizable to fans of the series. If you’re feeling ambitious, weather your outfit using old coffee grounds, brown, and red fabric paint.

Throwback: The Wiggles

Everyone from this generation and their parents remembers the Wiggles. The Wiggles make for an extremely easy group costume – just buy a brightly colored long sleeve t-shirt, iron on the Wiggles logo and tuck it into some black pants.

IRON ON INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Use either a cotton, or mostly cotton blend shirt.
  2. Download file to print out logo. It should be reversed.
  3. Print out using an ink (not laser) printer.
  4. Cut around the edges of the image.
  5. Position the iron-on near the top right of the shirt and iron using a cotton setting on the iron. Place a thin cloth or pillowcase in between the iron and the iron on. Pay close attention to the edges.
  6. Peel off once it’s cooled and consider your costume done!

What’s spookier than Halloween? The thought of getting caught caught in the hallway without your ID.

You can’t forget your ID when you ARE your ID.

After a trip to Hobby Lobby for white posterboard, cardstock, a hot glue gun and cotton webbing, spend the afternoon making a giant ID.

Here’s how to make your very own Marcus ID costume!

Supplies: white foam board, printer, cardstock, webbing (backpack strap material), hot glue gun

1. Cut a rectangle the size of a sheet of paper in the top left corner using an x-acto knife.
  2. Print out the Marcus logo in color and glue it the front, next to the cut-out.
  3. Print out the barcode and glue it to eh front, under the M and rectangle cutout.
  4. Position the foamboard so your head is framed in the white rectangle cutout. Using a pencil, note where your shoulders are.
  5. On the white side, hot glue the cotton webbing to your pencil mark. Hot glue the other end about a foot below.

Red jumpsuit gang member

Since many teachers began wearing red jumpsuits last year, they’ve only grown bigger — now even students have realized the appeal of the comfy, simple jumpsuits. Luckily, the famous jumpsuit is easily avaliable from Dickie’s. Just order the Dickie’s Short Sleeve Coveralls and consider your costume done!

Frightening film reviews

The Shining:

For those who crave something a little more sinister during the Halloween season, Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shiningis the perfect movie to watch under the cover of darkness on Halloween night. Today, horror movies often rely on things like jumpscares to keep them engaged. However, “The Shining” makes you uncomfortable in a different way. From the ear splitting score to the creepy demeanor of the young twins, this film keeps your skin crawling through the almost three hour runtime.

From the first ten minutes the audience can decipher that something something bad is going to happen. Jack seems emotionally distant and disconnected from his family. Danny’s “imaginary friend”, Tony, has a looming presence over Danny and the other characters. All of this is established in the beginning leaving the audience to guess how each character is going to spiral downward.    

“The Shining” lives separately from the horror films of today despite being a classic of the genre. There are no real jumpscares or gory demon to fight. The film relies on psychological terror to scare its audience. Wendy Torrance isn’t fighting a demon—she’s fighting her own husband who’s gone mad.

“The Shining” truly is Jack Nicholson’s movie. The film would not be the same without his terrifying portrayal of Jack Torrance. He contributes to many of the film’s most intense scenes, adding an layer of madness to the supernatural setting. He pulls the camera to him in every scene he’s in, and the audience simply cannot look away.

Kubrick’s use of imagery throughout the film has become iconic in its own right. From the pattern of the Overlook carpet to the image of the Grady twins standing side-by-side at the end of the hallway. The shot of blood flowing out of the elevator has been recreated in many shows and movies.

“The Shining” continues to be a horror and thriller classic that haunts viewers to this day. It’s creepy ambiance and terrifying performances will make you check your back at night. It is the ultimate Halloween popcorn flick.

Beetlejuice:

In preparation for Halloween, many people love to binge watch their favorite scary movies to get in the mood. However, for some, the ooky-spooky family films like “Hocus Pocus” and “Nightmare Before Christmas” are less terrifying ways to get in the Halloween spirit. Tim Burton’s “Beetlejuice” is another perfect film to add to that list.

Burton is the king of creepy family films that have become Halloween classics. He often paints dark, dreary landscapes with his films that still manage to envelope comedy and lightness, and his 1988 film is no exception. Backed by composer Danny Elfman’s iconic score, the pair set the tone for the film in the first three minutes.

That tone continued throughout the beginning of the movie, but the tone fully sets in when Michael Keaton’s Beetlejuice fully arrives in the film. Despite his somewhat brief time in the film, the time he does spend on screen proves why he is the character of which the film is named after.

Winona Ryder plays the goth teenager Lydia who rebels against her new stepmother as they move into a new house. A teenager herself, Ryder injects humor and charm into a relatively generic character. By the end of the film, you can’t help but love Lydia. Geena Davis’s Barbara puts a different spin on the newlywed housewife. Neither her or her husband, Adam (Alec Baldwin), are dependant on the other, but they work together to fix their issues.

“Beetlejuice” is filled with colorful characters and the signature Tim Burton style that will get anyone in the mood for Halloween. It is the perfect film to watch with family and is the perfect opportunity to scare younger siblings by saying Beetlejuice three times.

Spooky things to do

Spooky season has arrived and it’s already been a graveyard smash. Here are some iconic activities to do for your Halloween season.  

Cutting Edge: $35

When October rolls around, the haunted houses pop up and there is one for every thrill seeker. However, if you like to completely immerse yourself into the thrill of a horror movie Cutting Edge is the perfect adventure to go on. This haunting experience is located at an 100-year-old abandoned meat packing plant in Fort Worth. The drive is definitely worth it for those who live for chilling activities like this. The trail is $35 for general admission, but their website offers some package deals and speed passes that allow you to skip the line. Walking through the woods at night is nerve racking enough, but when you add serial killers around every tree, house and turn, the goosebumps will never leave your arms.

Six Flags Fright Fest: $70

If you want more than a couple of jump scares and a few fog machines, Fright Fest is meant for people who love some thrills. The park is packed with full time scares, roller coasters and monsters to make your visit extra  creepy. While this is the pricey option, there is a lot included in the general admission which runs around $70. Even though it’s more money, it is easily an all day event. From demonic spirits to angry clowns, it is guaranteed that everyone’s Halloween fears are lurking somewhere in the park.

Pumpkin Patch $10 to park, price by weight for pumpkins

For those who love fall but aren’t a fan of scary situations, a pumpkin patch is perfect for you. The hay ride with your friends is never going to disappoint on an October day, and you get to take home a pumpkin that you picked yourself. Strolling around rows of pumpkins of all different shapes and sizes is a great way to spend an afternoon. If you’re someone that prefers chilly days rather than chilling monsters, grabbing a pumpkin at the Flower Mound Pumpkin Patch. The FMPP charge one dollar per pound, so the average size pumpkins usually run around $8 while the humongous ones average around $50.

Throw a monster mash

Night owls who love being surrounded by tons of people should spend their Halloween nights dancing to spooky jams and chilling with friends. Throwing a costume party is the perfect way to spend the holiday. This allows you to dress up as your favorite superhero, TV character or monster and celebrate the night with your friends. The price can range by how many decorations you want and what food you decide to order. The cheapest way idea is a chill movie night with a small group of close friends, and ordering Dominos. The alternative is inviting everyone you know and ordering an abundance amount of halloween treats.