Review: Eggspress Cafe

Eggspress Cafe offers delicious breakfast and quality service
McKenna Cowley
The chorizo breakfast sandwich was delicious, so Eggspress Cafe definitely deserves a second visit.

Eggspress Cafe isn’t currently the most popular breakfast site in Flower Mound, but the restaurant is soon-to-be “go-to” material. Since opening on Jan. 7,  it seems like Highland Village residents can’t stay away. The impressive food, service and overall feeling of the restaurant are enough to attract a full house, even at 10:30 am.

I ordered the breakfast sandwich with chorizo, which consisted of scrambled eggs, cheese and the meat of your choice sandwiched between toasted and buttered sourdough bread, with either grits or hash browns on the side. I opted for hash browns. I had no complaints about this meal and thoroughly enjoyed every bite. I would definitely return to Eggspress Cafe just for this sandwich. 

My breakfast companion ordered “The Traditional,” with scrambled eggs, hash browns, two sausage patties and a belgian waffle on the side. He liked the eggs, sausage and hashbrowns, but he loved the waffle. It must be noted that he also frequents IHOP and eats pancakes for dinner an average of twice a week, but I tried the waffle as well and it was excellent. 

The restaurant is a prime example of “it’s what’s on the inside that counts.” Although the pun is extremely clever, looking at the large sign outside that reads “Eggspress Cafe” in large black and white letters led me to assume that the interior would resemble a regular breakfast place like IHOP or Denny’s. However, I was pleasantly surprised by modern wooden decor and an open kitchen instead of red leather booths and plastic tables. Any mom that drives to yoga classes at 8 a.m. on Saturdays in a Porsche Cayenne would adore the light gray theme with wooden signs that read “Welcome” and “Be Our Guest.” They even have doilies to act as coasters.

McKenna Cowley
My friend liked the eggs good, sausage and hash browns, but the waffles were his favorite.

The employees were friendly, timely and attentive. However, the lobby of the restaurant is fairly small, so it tends to be a little noisy. We went around 10:30 a.m. and it was packed, but it calmed down by 11 a.m. so we were able to have an easy conversation again. Although, I personally eat dinner at 4:30 p.m., similar to a senior citizen, so the volume level may just be a personal preference. So while Eggspress Cafe might not be the best choice for someone who wants to have a quiet breakfast conversation, it would be great for a family with multiple small children (they’re used to the noise), someone who is eating with their grandpa with very strong political opinions, or teens who always listen to their music loud enough for others to hear, even with earbuds in.

On a scale of 1-5, I would give Eggspress cafe a 4.5, knocking off 0.5 for the noise level. However, the food and staff were amazing, and although the interior is a little small, they make great use of the space they have.