Door opens for last time

Senior holds open S Hall door a final time
Senior+Ryleigh+Tyson+holds+a+sign+thanking+everyone+for+helping+her+self+confidence.+
Miranda Chiechi
Senior Ryleigh Tyson holds a sign thanking everyone for helping her self confidence.

The majority of the student body may not know her name, but they do know who she is. She has many different names. She’s been called the S Hall girl or the door holder. She’s even been called an angel a few times because of what she does. Every morning senior Ryleigh Tyson stands outside the S Hall and holds the door for students and teachers, a door that would otherwise be locked.

This daily practice began while Tyson attended the Career Center. She would hold the door for people as a kind gesture towards others. After awhile, she noticed a difference in herself.

“I realized it was making it easier for me to talk to people,” Tyson said. “I decided to try it here and it’s really helped my self confidence and my social anxiety.”

On her daily post at the door, Tyson has experienced many different reactions. For many students, she was the difference between them being on time or tardy. If she had not been there, the students that were running late would have had to find an alternate entrance, such as the cafeteria or front of the school.

Most of the time people would just say thank you or give a nod in her direction. Some of them wouldn’t say anything at all. Then she started receiving gifts. She said most of the time it would be food, but that alone was enough to brighten her day.

“It was always really wonderful,” Tyson said. “I never knew I would be appreciated that much. I’ve never had a bad day after holding the door.”

However, today marks the last day that Tyson will hold the door. As she embarks on her post – high school adventures, she said she will miss the people that were always nice to her and that she would stay just so she could hold the door every morning. But she is looking for someone to resume her duties next year.

“I want someone to take my place because it really is a good feeling,” Tyson said.