Faces of the court

Meet this year’s head basketball coaches and team captains

Boy Marauder

Matthew Wright, Varsity Head Coach

Wright is entering his 16th year of coaching and his second year at the school. Previously, Wright coached for 14 years at Flower Mound High School.

“It’s been awesome. Everybody has been awesome to work with,” Wright said. “I’m glad I made the move here.”

Wright began playing basketball at 5 years old and continued through high school. As he grew older, he realized that he was most successful in basketball. Post high school, he played basketball in intramurals and men’s league but ultimately decided to coach.

“I knew I loved working with kids and I knew I love sports, so I gave it a try and it worked,” Wright said.

Senior Victor Mitranca, head coach Matthew Wright, and senior Domminick Harris are excited for this year’s season. (Anya Jain)

With seven seniors on the team this year, Wright believes senior leadership and three point shooting has the team stronger than ever. 

“We’ve told the boys if they play hard and do the little things, we have a chance to make the playoffs,” Wright said.

Victor Mitranca, Senior, Captain, Center, 12

Mitranca is entering his second year on varsity and second year as captain. He has been playing basketball since he was in sixth grade.

“It’s my last season being a senior on the team. So you kind of go in with a different motivation when you know it’s your last,” Mitranca said. “I want to make good memories and make the playoffs and be district champs.”

Mitranca hopes to create a positive environment as captain.

“It feels good knowing that my teammates have that type of trust in me to have that role,” Mitranca said. “And hopefully it gives me the ability to lead and get us where we need to be.”

Dominick Harris, Senior, Captain, Guard, 1

Senior Harris is entering his third year on varsity and his second year as captain. 

“My plan this season is just to do whatever it takes for us to be most successful and get us to the playoffs,” Harris said.

Harris takes his role as captain with great honor. He hopes to lead the team to the playoffs and further success.

“Being a captain is just like being a leader,” Harris said. “Not being bossy but like keeping people on track with where we want to be successful.”

Lady Marauder

Mallory Singleton-Lynn, Varsity Head Coach

Head coach Mallory Singleton-Lynn is entering her eighth year of coaching and teaching. (JC Mays)

Singleton-Lynn is entering her eighth year of coaching and teaching. She started her career in the fall of 2015 at Flower Mound HS where she served six years as a Varsity and JV coach and taught accounting. She spent the 2021-2022 school year as an assistant coach for Rock Hill’s team before coming to the school.

“I love teaching young girls about life through the game and it’s just fun,” Singleton-Lynn said. “It’s like I get to play the game for my whole life.”

She began playing basketball in the first grade. Throughout her high school career she played on Flower Mounds team where she received a scholarship to Southern Methodist University. At SMU, Singleton-Lynn served as team captain.

“I think what makes basketball important to me is the life lessons that sports teaches us,” Singleton-Lynn said. “It’s like, you know, we face adversity in the game but that’s nothing compared to the adversity that we’re probably going to face in life. It teaches us how to be a part of something bigger than ourselves.”

Through hard work and discipline, Singleton-Lynn is hopeful for the upcoming season.

“Not only are we playing better basketball, but we’re playing better together,” Singleton-Lynn said. “These kids are bought in for the program, these kids are bought in for each other. They’re playing hard.”

Addison Wragge, Junior, Captain, Forward, 24

Junior Addison Wragge is entering her third year on varsity and first year as captain. (JC Mays)

Wragge is entering her third year on varsity and first year as captain. Wragge has been playing basketball since sixth grade and has been playing club since seventh.

“Basketball brings my heart out with joy. It was a game that me and my grandma used to play together and it’s just lots of fun,” Wragge said.

Being captain motivates Wragge to push herself to her full potential whilst holding herself and others accountable. Her goal this season is to be the best teammate possible.

“No matter my role I do my part and always encourage,” Wragge said. “Captain is basically another name for me and everybody on our team is a leader and they’ve always had that opportunity.”

Kennedi Petteway, Senior, Captain, Guard, 1

Senior Kennedi Petteway is entering her third year on varsity and second year as captain. (JC Mays)

Petteway is entering her third year on varsity and second year as captain. Petteway has been playing basketball for 13 years. Over the summer Petteway played for AAU and has trained hard for the season.

“I used tournaments to help me personally to build my game and be ready for the season,” Petteway said.

Petteway takes her role as captain with strength and esteem. As captain she believes in being a leader on and off the court whilst

holding everyone accountable for their actions.

“I mean it’s amazing as always being captain,” Petteway said. “It’s an honor, because not everyone has that position. So I’m grateful to showcase my team.”