Marauders beat Lake Highlands Wildcats

Recap of the Marauders’ win in the area round of the playoffs
Tara Connick
Junior wide receiver Tyler Schott runs with the ball before being tackled towards the end of the first half.

The second the horn blew, signaling the end of the fourth quarter, the Marauders ran with joy on the field. The student section couldn’t stop cheering as the Marauders and the Lake Highlands Wildcats exchanged some words at the 50-yard line. The Marauders had just become area round champions after beating the Wildcats 36-27 on Nov. 23.

“It’s pretty cool,” junior cornerback Ty Johnson said. “It gives us some extra plans for the break. Everyone wants to play football on Thanksgiving break. It’s a blessing that we get to do that.”

The Marauders’ defense was able to come up with big plays throughout the afternoon. They gave up 19 first downs and created three turnovers, two of which were interceptions and one was a fumble. However, it was a tough night stopping runs, as the Wildcats got 278 yards on the ground. Junior quarterback Mitch Coulson got 190 yards and one touchdown. The Wildcats missed a critical field goal in the fourth quarter.

Tara Connick
Junior quarterback Garrett Nussmeier celebrates after the Marauders bring their lead to 36-27 at the end of the third quarter.

“During the game, [we] made different plans and adjusting to what they were doing,” junior cornerback Christian Espinoza said.

The Marauders’ offense had a few hiccups, but made key plays when needed. Junior quarterback Garrett Nussmeier finished the game with 407 yards, four touchdowns and 82 percent completion. Wide receivers sophomore Dallas Dudley, junior J. Michael and junior Tyler Schott were at the receiving end of Nussmeier’s touchdowns, with Dudley getting two of them. Senior running back Ty’son Edwards finished the game with 97 rushing yards and one touchdown.

“We just needed to stay calm and play our game,” Dudley said. “We knew our quarterback was going to get us the ball, either way, that’s how we played it.”

The team will be playing the Tascosa Rebels next Saturday at Memorial Stadium in the regional round, which the Marauders didn’t qualify for the last time they made the playoffs. 

The Flower Mound Jaguars lost to the Duncanville Panthers on Nov. 23, making the Marauders the only team in the 6-6A district left in the playoffs. They know that every game at this point in the season will be tough, but the team is ready for the challenge.

“I felt like we have a good recipe for success going on right now,” Nussmeier said. “We’ll keep cooking, and keep working throughout the week and keep the same routine and keep going.”

Click here for more photos from the game.