Marauders are first in district after win against Irving

Last year, the Marauders played an away game against Irving and came out on top 58-13.

The Marauders took care of business last night at the homecoming game, getting the shutout win over the Irving High School Tigers 60-0. This put them in first in the district. 

A key player was senior running back Ty’son Edwards, who found the endzone four times.

“[I] went out there and did everything I could,” Edwards said. “[I] turned on the gas.”

Irving started out with the ball, which lead to a block punt by senior linebacker Ethan Barr. It was picked up by senior linebacker Michael Carignan, who returned it to the 11 yard line.

Junior quarterback Garrett Nussmeier found senior running back Ty’son Edwards in the end zone to score a 12 yard touchdown and two point conversion.  This put the Marauders in the lead 8-0 with about 10 minutes left in the first quarter.

The Marauders then went on a six play drive, which ended with a field goal by senior kicker Jacob Scott. This made the score 11-0 with about five minutes left in the first.

To end the quarter, the Marauders went on an eight play drive. Edwards scored his second touchdown of the night, making the score 18-0. 

Irving punted the ball to start the second quarter, and the Marauders went on a three play drive. Edwards found the end zone for the third time, increasing the Marauders’ lead to 25-0. A few minutes later, the Marauders went on a seven play drive. Ethan Barr scored a touchdown, making the score 32-0 with about seven minutes left in the second.

[I] went out there and did everything I could. [I] turned on the gas.

— Ty'son Edwards, 12

After another punt by Irving, the Marauders went on an eight play drive. Nussmeier found junior wide receiver J. Michael Sturdivant in the end zone for an 11 yard touchdown, making the score 39-0 to end the first half.

The Marauders got the ball to start the third quarter. Edwards scored his fourth touchdown to make the score 46-0 with 11 about minutes left in the third. Soon after, Irving went on a six play drive, but the team fumbled the ball. Sophomore defensive lineman Bryson Barber then scored a touchdown. This widened the Marauders’ lead to 53-0, which is where it stayed for the rest of the third. 

Both teams punted to start the fourth quarter. Nobody scored until there were about two minutes left, when senior running back Jack Saunders scored a touchdown. This put the Marauders on top 60-0 to end the game. 

Their next matchup is on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 7 p.m. The team will go on the road to play Irving Nimitz.

“We just have to go 1-0 each week,” coach Kevin Atkinson said.