Marauders lose Battle of the Axe

Maya Hernandez

The Marauders lost to their crosstown rivals, the Lewisville Fighting Farmers 17-14 in their last game of the season. The red and silver did not make the playoffs, and finished their season 5-5, ranked fifth in the 6-6A division rankings. Although the loss was not what the team was looking for, it showed massive improvement from the Battle of the Mound game against their other crosstown rival, the Flower Mound Jaguars. The game was characterized by multiple injuries on both sides as both teams fought to win the coveted axe.

The Farmers scored the first points of the game with a touchdown halfway through the first quarter. The red and silver then answered with a 26-yard touchdown fumble return by junior linebacker Ethan Barr, however missed the pat, putting six points on the board. The Farmers then answered with a touchdown in the final minutes of the half to make the score 14-6.

Within the first two minutes of the second half, senior linebacker/wide receiver Marcel Brooks scored a touchdown on a 59-yard run, bringing the score to 13-14 heading into the fourth quarter. A 23-yard field goal in the fourth sealed the deal for the Farmers’ victory.

Offensively, Senior quarterback Carter Bir passed for a total of 62 yards, averaging 10.3 yards per pass. The Marauder running game rushed for 86 yards, while leading receiver senior John Ballard totaled 39 receiving yards.

Meanwhile, the red and silver defense held the Farmers to 1.8 yards per carry, and recovered five fumbles, returning one for a touchdown. The defense was able to keep the score close for the majority of the game, with the Marauders ultimately losing by four points.

While their playoff hopes were not realized, the program is looking forward. This is a young team, and while the seniors will be missed, there is a lot of talent reportedly being seen from the juniors and sophomores who are expected to lead the team next year.

Although the Marauders did not make the playoffs, other LISD schools including Lewisville, Flower Mound, Hebron, and The Colony play in the first round of the playoffs on Friday, Nov. 16. The Lewisville Fighting Farmers play the Keller Indians at Denton’s C.H. Collins Athletics Complex at 7:00 P.M. The Flower Mound Jaguars play the Denton Guyer Wildcats at home at 7:00 P.M. The Hebron Hawks play the Keller Fossil Ridge Panthers at the Keller ISD Athletic Complex at 7:30 P.M. The Colony Cougars play the Mansfield Timberview Wolves at 7:00 P.M.