Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Marauders beat Waxahachie 21-7

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marauders beat Waxahachie 21-7

The Marauders got off to a slow start, but finished the game strong to bring home the second win of the season. The Waxahachie Indians played a strong defensive game, sacking sophomore quarterback #13 Garrett Nussmeier three times during the game. However, it was not enough to stop the Marauders’ running game.

In the first quarter, the red and silver scored a touchdown with a pass from Nussmeier to senior wide receiver #9 Marcel Brooks.The Indians answered with a touchdown of their own just minutes later. The teams remained scoreless throughout the second quarter, keeping them both tied up 7-7 at the half.

A hand-off from Nussmeier to junior running back #41 Ty’son Edwards racked up another touchdown for the Marauders in the third quarter. In the fourth, senior running back #2 Justin Dinka ran the ball in for the third and final touchdown of the game for the red and silver.

Head coach Kevin Atkinson expected to face a strong Waxahachie defense, and is focused on how his offense can improve from this game.

“I wanted to execute the run game and I’m really proud of the offensive line. We challenged them all week and they did a great job,” Atkinson said. “We had a little lull the first and second quarter, but we regrouped at half time and the kids were very coachable and did a great job.”

Offensively, the running game dominated, scoring two of the three touchdowns in the game. The passing game was stifled by the Indians, who held the Marauders to 68 passing yards overall. However, their focus on the passing game relieved pressure on the running game, allowing Dinka to rush for 166 yards, while Edwards rushed for 26.

The Marauder defense played well, allowing just one touchdown while forcing one turnover and zero fourth-down conversions. Sophomore defensive back #4 Christian Espinoza caught his third interception of the season in the fourth. So far he averages one interception per game.

With a win last week against McKinney Boyd, the team took that momentum and used it to prepare for the match against the Indians.

“One game does not define our entire season,” Nussmeier said. “We celebrated and then when Sunday morning came it was on to Waxahachie.”

The red and silver have a by-week and will play Irving in an away game Thursday, September 27th.

Ava Bush, Sports Editor

Hi, my name’s Ava, I’m a senior at Marcus, and this is my first year on the newspaper staff. I like yoga and meditating, and my favorite subject is...