Girls varsity soccer soars over the Eagles

(Photo courtesy of Marcus girls varsity soccer Twitter)

Coming off their regional semi-final victory over Mansfield, the girls varsity soccer team continued their playoff push on Saturday, April 14 in an overtime thriller versus the Allen Eagles.

At the beginning of the second half, the game was scoreless until senior forward Taylor Moon punched in a goal to put the Marauders up 1-0. Allen quickly responded off a corner kick to tie it back up. At the end of regulation, the score was still 1-1 as the match headed into overtime.

Moon quickly heated up, finding a path to the goal. And on an off target shot, the ball ricocheted off an Allen defender and found its way into the back of the net. Up by one, the Marauders shifted to a more defensive tactic to ward off the offensively pressing Eagles. But in the closing minutes of the match, senior midfielder Maddie Algya sunk a final goal to secure the victory. After time expired, the Marauders won 3-1.

With the win, girls varsity soccer is crowned regional champions and punches their ticket to the state tournament. Ranked 18th in the nation, according to topdrawersoccer.com, the girls are now set to take on Katy Cinco Ranch High School in Georgetown on Friday, April 20. Winner of the match will play in the 6A state championship.

Watch: Taylor Moon scores goal for 1-0 lead

Credit: Star Local Media