Volunteers needed in PE Partners

Leslyn Lindsey
Sophomore Alex Alvarez pulls sophomore Sheila Povar on a scooter during freetime. Leaders and partners spend the class period playing games together.

PE Partners is in need of additional volunteers to help in the life skills class.

Volunteers, which are called leaders in the class, help the buddies–the life skills students. They teach social skills and help the students exercise. 

While the class is not in danger of shutting down, there aren’t enough leaders to give one-on-one attention to buddies. The class needs 20-30 volunteers. There are currently only 12.

According to junior and PE Partners leader Jenna Reed, the lack of volunteers has made day-to-day functions more challenging.

“It has made it harder to manage, and it’s made it more difficult to be able to give attention to everyone who needs it,” Reed said.

The daily activities of PE Partners include simple gym games such as bowling, jump rope, playing on scooters, and “Just Dance” on Fridays. It offers a class period full of all the games that students loved to play in elementary school.

PE Partners Coach Rector says the class prioritizes positivity and welcomes anyone and everyone. 

“We try to create a family-like environment where everyone feels safe, everyone feels loved,” Coach Rector said. “No matter what kind of day you’re having, our goal is to make sure that you’re leaving with a smile.”

Leaders in this class are asked to simply be a friend to others. They are partnered with different buddies throughout their time in the class to make connections.

“Our passion is to build leaders and to help students rise up and lead other people and teach them to have kindness and empathy,” Coach Rector said.

“It is an amazing experience,” Staples said. “And it’ll open you up to this whole world that is so perfect to be in because you will be loved and supported in this community no matter what.”Yo

You’re going to make bonds you never thought you could.

— Corbin Staples, 11

PE Partners has been at Marcus for over 10 years but has had a shortage of volunteers since the beginning of COVID-19. The group is currently focusing on providing trips outside the school for life skill students to improve day to day social skills as well.

“They go out into the community, go to Walmart, learn how to buy groceries and have that interaction,” Rector said.

Junior and PE Partners leader Reagan Burgess says that she’s learned more about herself from the class.

“You get to hang out with kids that teach you about yourself and teach you compassion,” Burgess said.

Volunteering for the class earns a PE credit and, according to Rector, is beneficial for college applications. It offers leadership opportunities as well.

Rector encourages students who cannot fit PE Partners into their schedules to get involved in the other programs benefiting life skills students, such as Circle of Friends and the Grand Ball Prom in the spring.

Junior and PE Partners leader Corbin Staples said that the group has improved her high school experience. 

“It’s going to be hard but you’re going to have some of the best times of your entire life with this group, with this community,” Staples said. “You’re going to make bonds you never thought you could.” 

The P.E. Partners class is second period and is always in need of more leaders, according to Rector. 

Students can join by speaking with their counselors.