LISD closes schools due to COVID-19 pandemic

Earlier today, LISD Superintendent Dr. Kevin Rogers released a statement announcing that all LISD schools will be closed through April 3 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, he stated that students and parents should prepare for the possibility of the cancellation being extended. 

“The health and safety of our students, staff, and the community members in each of the communities we serve is at the forefront of our minds as we prepare to navigate the uncharted waters ahead,” Rogers stated. “We will continue monitoring COVID-19’s impact on our communities and depend on guidance from local and state health experts as we decide how to move forward.”

District leaders are working to develop a framework to move classes online, ensuring that students will continue to receive instruction while the schools are closed. Senior Bella Fortino believes LISD made the right decision to close schools and shift to online lessons. 

“I think it’s a good idea since we don’t know the severity of this virus. With these precautions, the virus is less likely to spread as rapidly,” Fortino said. “I think it is the option at this point considering the circumstances, but I really will miss seeing my friends every day.”

Rogers also stated that healthy meals will be provided to students that rely on the food given to them at school. Families will be able to pick them up at specific locations, which will be announced soon. 

“I think it’s great that LISD cares for all of their students in different circumstances and obstacles,” Fortino said.

In addition to the school being closed, prom was rescheduled for May 16 at the DFW Hyatt. It was initially set for April 4.

“I’m really glad prom was moved to May 16 rather than cancelling the event altogether,” Fortino said. “I know that along with the rest of the seniors, we really appreciate and cherish our last moments in high school, especially prom.”

According to Fortino, who is a Marquette officer, the drill team’s annual spring show will also be postponed. 

“I am just hoping that we get to perform this year,” Fortino said. “I would be truly heartbroken if I couldn’t dance with my team for the very last time.”

Many other local school districts, such as Dallas ISD, decided to close their campuses last week. Although LISD officials are not sure of what the future holds regarding schools and COVID-19, Rogers assured parents and students that the district will be providing updates soon and will work to make sure to act in the best interest of students.

“I know we are in uncertain times, and many questions remain,” Rogers stated. “But in the face of that uncertainty, I am confident Lewisville ISD and the communities it serves will rise together to meet the needs of our students.”