The Phasing Out of DACA

President Trump rescinded DACA on Sept 5. DACA is an Obama era government program that shields young, undocumented immigrants from deportation while providing them with work permits.

According to Time magazine, 124,000 of the 800,000 people currently protected by DACA live in Texas.

President Trump’s decision sparked protests outside official government buildings and cities across the nation. Many states, including California and New York, are suing the Trump administration for the DACA suspension on procedural grounds, racially discriminatory terms and violation of due process.

Some students on campus disagree with Trump’s decision.

“They have a right to be here,” senior Mary Will said.

The Republican mayor of Flower Mound, Tom Hayden, said his opinions on DACA went against his own party.

“I would find a process for people that have been in our country for an extended period of time to become citizens,” Hayden said. The mayor also feels that parents who are illegal immigrants shouldn’t be deported if the child is a citizen.

On the other hand, some Trump supporters stand firm in their support of his decision.

“If they came to the country illegally, then they shouldn’t be citizens,” junior Luke Brunette said.

The recension will be delayed for six months to provide Congress with enough time to replace the program with something more permanent.

If Congress cannot implement a new program within those two years, DACA will cease to exist by 2020, and formerly protected illegal immigrants will be subject to deportation.