Major success

Junior wins school-wide singing competition
Kaitlyn Hughes
Junior Ria Chacko won Marcus Idol after her performance of “The Joke.”

Junior Ria Chacko took first place at  Marcus Idol, an annual singing competition for students. 

Trophies were also awarded to senior Olivia Stefani for second place and senior Julia Campopiano for third. To decide the winners, each contestant was given a score. The scores used to determine the winners were decided by the judges, whose opinions made up 66 percent of each score, and the audience, whose votes made up the rest. 

Marcus Idol contestants are chosen after auditions. Only 15 to 16 people become contestants out of the 40 to 50 that audition. Chacko felt like her audition went pretty well.

“It wasn’t that bad because I was comfortable around Mr. Davis and Mr. Howard,” Chacko said.

After being chosen, Chacko didn’t focus on trying to win. Instead, she was just excited to be participating.

Chacko sang “The Joke” by Brandi Carlile for her performance. The song, which holds personal significance to her, focuses on being to prove oneself sooner or later, despite what others think. She finds it to be relatable for some people she cares about.

The a capella groups on campus, Dually Noted and Fusion (pictured above), also performed at Marcus Idol. The first, second and third place winners are all in Fusion.

“Some people I know have a hard time with the stuff the song talks about,” Chacko said. ”It’s a song for them.”

She also enjoys that it is a “good, encouraging, uplifting song” that is different from today’s popular romance songs that she usually sings. 

“Instead of singing about a love interest or someone breaking my heart, something I can’t exactly relate to, I like that the song was more driven towards proving yourself sooner or later,” Chacko said.

Chacko has been a singer ever since she could remember and finds it to be another way to express herself. 

After her win, though surprised, Ria said she felt great about her performance.

“For the most part, it was a pretty good performance in my opinion, and I’m proud of it,”  she said.