Senior soccer player commits to Harvard University

Senior Landon Plunkett’s mind is focused on more than just academics this year. His future was decided before he even set foot on a campus for his final year at the school. After considering several schools, he committed to play soccer at Harvard University in early August.

“It came down to where was I going to get the best education and where was I going to set myself up for my best future,” Plunkett said.

While he made his decision much earlier than the majority of seniors, Plunkett also began his college search earlier. Having always aspired to play collegiate soccer, he began sending out emails to various coaches his sophomore year. Since then, he’s made highlight videos, conducting phone calls with coaches and visiting a number of colleges in an attempt to make those dreams a reality.

“Recruiting didn’t really pick up until junior year, and then around Christmas time I started getting a lot of calls from v01plunkett-500x600schools all over like Oregon State, Princeton, Colgate, Dartmouth, DBU, Trinity University,” Plunkett said.

Plunkett’s commitment to Harvard began with a visit from Head Men’s Soccer Coach Pieter Lehrer. L
ehrer watched one of Plunkett’s practices early in the summer, and followed up with a lengthy conversation. Originally, Lehrer wanted Plunkett to attend one of their summer clinics before making an offer. Later, however, he decided to make the offer anyway. Prior to committing, Plunkett decided to attend the clinic, and visit with alumni and current players.

“I guess after talking to them and seeing the school and everything, I was just kind of like, that’s where I [need] to be,” Plunkett said. “It’s one of those opportunities you can’t really pass up.”

Plunkett says he is grateful for his early decision, and is looking forward to be able to focus solely on improving his skills on the field and in the classroom this year. While some students might choose to coast through their senior year after they decide on a college, Plunkett says he’s concentrated on preparing to balance the rigorous course load and full travel schedule awaiting him at Harvard.

“It just really motivates me that I need to get better and focus on school still, because it’s not going to be easy there so I still need to treat everything the same,” Plunkett said. “For me I still need to engage myself in the classroom, I still need to become a better athlete, a better soccer player.”

While the athletic opportunities were a deciding factor, Plunkett says that the available academic options were just as vital to his decision. He says the world-class professors and the chance to explore his passions and ambitions are just a couple of the things he is looking forward to at Harvard.

“It’s not like I’m just going to school for soccer,” Plunkett said. “I’m going to go to a school where I can both be coached at a really high level soccer team and be taught at a really good academic institution.”

Although he’s not entirely sure what his life post-college will hold, Harvard’s government and economic majors are both paths he’s considering exploring when he attends the university next year.

“I want to see what I’m passionate about and expand my realm of intelligence to see what I really want to do with my life and where I’m happiest,” Plunkett said.