Marauders win football home opener

The Marauders defeat the Waxahachie Indians 55-38 in the home opener
Last week, the Marauders beat the McKinney Boyd Broncos 26-19.

The Marauders took care of business this Friday at their first home game, getting the win against the Waxahachie High School Indians.

The Marauders started with the ball and drove down the field on a four play touchdown drive. Nussmeier found junior receiver/cornerback Christian Espinoza for a 65 yard touchdown, making the score 7-0 with about 11 minutes left in the first quarter. Espinoza plays both receiver and cornerback. 

“I like being able to help the team in any way I can,” Espinoza said. “If that’s anywhere on the field, I’ll do it.”

The Indians punted the ball away on their first drive, giving the Marauders the ball to start at the 39 yard line. This allowed for an eight play drive, ending with senior running back Tyson Edward scoring a four yard touchdown. The Marauders’ lead increased to 14-0.

[I] just came out here to play my heart out. It just shows how good of a team we’re going to be.

— Garrett Nussmeier, 11

In the final minutes of the first, the Indians moved down the field and kicked a 17 yard field goal and scored a touchdown, ending the quarter behind the Marauders 14-10. 

For the first part of the second quarter, both teams punted the ball back to each other for the next four drives. When about seven minutes were left, Nussmeier found Tyson Edwards for a 92 yard touchdown, making the score 20-10 with a missed point after touchdown.

“I feel great,” Edwards said. “It was a constant battle. I had a job to do, and that was to run the ball.”

For the next four drives, both teams punted the ball back to each other. When Waxahachie had the ball at their own 25 yard line, they fumbled and senior safety Alex Fontaine recovered it, setting up a one play drive. Nussmeier found Espinoza on a 25 yard touchdown, making the score 27-10 with about a minute to go in the second.

The Indians drove down the field on a six play drive and threw a 34 yard touchdown, but missed the extra point. This narrowed the Marauders’ lead to 27-16 to end the first half. 

The Indians got the ball to start the third quarter, but threw an interception to Espinoza. This put the Marauders at their own 46 yard line, setting up a five play drive. Nussmeier found senior tight end Collin Sutherland for a seven yard touchdown, making the score 34-16 with about nine minutes left in the third.

The Indians went on to punt the ball back to the Marauders, setting up an eight play drive.  Nussmier found senior receiver Jaden Robinson for a 20 yard touchdown, widening the Marauders’ lead to 41-16 with about four minutes to go in the third.

“All credits go to [the receivers],” Nussmeier said. “Without them, I’m nothing.” 

The Indians moved down the field and scored a 29 yard touchdown on a fourth and 27, making the score 41-23 with about two minutes left in the quarter.

Emily Lundell
Showing their Marauder pride, the football team ran out from a giant M before taking the field.

With 43 seconds left in the third, Edwards scored his third touchdown of the night with a 21 yard carry. This made the score 48-23, which is where it stayed going into the fourth quarter.

To start the final quarter of the game, the Indians moved down the field and went on an 11 play drive, which ended with a 19 yard touchdown. Fifteen seconds after, the Indians got the ball back on an onside kick and went on a two play drive, scoring a 43 yard touchdown. This made the score 48-38 with about 10 minutes fourth.

The Marauders got the ball, but ended up throwing an interception, giving the Indians the ball back at their own 38 yard line. The Indians punted the ball away and set up an 11 play drive. Edwards found himself in the endzone for the fourth time, making the score 55-38 with about a minute left in the game.

The clock ran out and the Marauders came out on top. Nussmeier went 23/38 with 407 yards and five touchdowns, while Edwards had 30 carries for 217 yards and four touchdowns.

“[I] just came out here to play my heart out,” Nussmeier said. “It just shows how good of a team we’re going to be.”

Next week is a bye week for the Marauders, but they aren’t looking to slow down anytime soon.

“[It’s the] same as every week,” Nussmeier said. “We just don’t have a game on Friday.”