San Antonio restaurant serves more than just food

Alyssa Schmidt

The abundance of vibrant cut paper banners line the strip crossing in every which way. Sounds of Mexican ballads linger in the air, but it is the enticing scents of the traditional cuisine that draw the crowds. Past the row of shops stands Mi Tierra, an iconic restaurant in the Market Square of San Antonio. This family owned and operated business brings the roots of Mexican culture while reaching out to the community.

Upon entering through the wooden doors piñatas and colorful stringed lights cover every square inch of the building. Waitresses in traditional red, white and green dresses scurry through the three dining rooms with trays full of chips and the restaurant’s most popular item, the George’s Special, a cheesy enchilada and crispy beef taco served with guacamole, Spanish rice and retried beans.

Though the original owner, Cruz Cortez, passed away his recipes remain. Relative and now Purchasing Director of the company, Eusebio Trujillo, says his gift is more than just the food.

“Our founder passed away about 30 years ago,” Trujillo said. “His legacy his family and his work ethic live on.”

Trujillo has been involved with the company for over 40 years. In that time he has been immersed into the family business as more than just a worker. Mi Tierra is not just his place of employment but home to many sentimental moments.

“It was the magic being raised here,” Trujillo said. “Growing up in the phases of the restaurant from bus boy to host to supervisor was major.”

During his time at Mi Tierra, Trujillo has seen it grow from a modest restaurant to a community ambassador. Through the restaurant, the Cortez family has funded projects such as promoting local Latino artists and creating a park outside the Children’s Hospital.

“It wasn’t about the taco and the enchilada, it was about our community and doing what we needed to to support it,” Trujillo said.

Not only does Mi Tierra feed the locals but also attracts tourists. Carol Pinson frequently makes the drive from Austin to meet close friends and enjoy her favorite enchilada.

“The sauce really sets it a part from the rest,” Pinson said.

The 24 hour establishment claims to be a little loco and a lot of fun, but also nourishes the the guests through more than just their tastebuds.

“Though the food we are feeding the mind, spirit, and body of the people,” Trujillo said.

To see a list of their menu items click here: http://www.mitierracafe.com/menus_breakfast.html