The Marquee outlines State Fair experience

The+new+Big+Tex+towers+over+Fair+Park+at+this+years+state+fair.+
Molly Webber
The new Big Tex towers over Fair Park at this year’s state fair.

On Sept. 26, 2013, Big Tex was seen as a phoenix rising from the ashes of his tragic death. This year, however, is different because there are now new ways to enjoy it.  Plus, Big Tex will be welcoming those into the practically new fair with a new voice and new sayings.

Big Tex is the icon of the Texas State fair. It is no wonder that fans created facebook groups and spent an entire year worrying about his resurrection. This year, he made an earlier appearance than planned. His covers came off a day early, revealing his 19,000 pound addition of weight, 25 more gallons in his hat and three inches taller stature. He is a new flame-resistant man. His decorated boots for the Texan eyes are standing on a mound of the freshly grown state flower, the bluebonnet as well as the iconic cacti. His sayings are new as well, advising fairgoers to wash their hands before eating along with welcoming them in and thanking Dickey’s for sponsoring. Even though his early appearance was unexpected to those who planned the Starlight Parade for him, fans were happy to see the new celebrity.

Once guests pass Big Tex, they will smell this year’s award winning food, a fried Thanksgiving dinner, which includes stuffing and turkey rolled into a ball and comes with cranberry sauce for dipping. This is just one of the iconic fried fair foods. Although it is not nutritionally enticing, the experience of the crunchy battered food will be all one needs when saying that they went to the fair. The only downside of the food is the prices, that need to be paid in coupons bought at stations. The coupons are a marketing deal, created to make the food seem cheaper. Even so, it is socially required to try one of these foods.

Another attraction for patrons Monday is The Top O’ Texas Tower that will give fairgoers a new way to see over the entire park and even parts of Dallas in an enclosed and safe place.The entertaining ride of the Top O’ Texas tower is meant to reciprocate for the dozens of passengers held up for hours at, well, the top of Texas.

When students finish the midway, they can cross onto International Boulevard and see the Main Stage. This popup entertainment center gives its audience a chance to see several famous people. Country, Christian and hip hop bands will be joining those of the Dallas area and enjoy the Fair atmosphere alongside the Texas sky.

A highly recommended way to get to the Fair is to ride the DART, so that students won’t have to worry about using gas money or getting lost. Parents also don’t have as much concern for  letting their kids venture off into Dallas without them. Students just have to park at the train station in Lewisville and ride until Fair Park. It’s an interesting new solution to the non-locals wishing to go to the State Fair.

Last year, the news was covered with dangerous behavior during the fair season, including ride scares and the Big Tex fiasco. This year is an attempt to overcome challenges revealed in the public last year. Along with the new Big Tex, the State Fair has had a makeover for the better.

The Texas State Fair will also feature agriculture, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and The Great American Spam Championship.

It is a must-see experience, with so much to look forward to.