Spirited sisterhood

Spirited sisterhood
Averi Collen

It’s nerd day at school. Glasses. Headgear. Outdated New Balance tennis shoes. A plaid shirt and a long-sleeved turtleneck. As the two girls walk into school, they see others like them. Others with high socks pulled up to mid-shin, with pigtails piled high on their heads. Others with braces and baggy pants. But something separates these two from the rest. They are grander. They stand out from the crowd. They do it together.

During football season, a number of spirit days are scheduled and students can defy fashion laws. While most students participating change a few aspects of themselves, like a misplaced clothing item or outlandish hair, seniors Bridget Tobias and Kayla Blackmon desired to create a more dramatic effect.

“We just try to do fun things,” Tobias said. “We look at the spirit days and decide on something different that we could do.”

At the beginning of their junior years last fall, Tobias and Blackmon first began dressing up together. Although they might have been creative last year, their handiwork this year has reflected that they are wardrobe veterans and have no lack of school spirit.

“We decided it would be fun if we were ridiculously-dressed,” Tobias said. “And we have done it ever since.”
After recognizing the creativity in one another last year, the pair planned carefully for each spirit day. The trips to the nearest Thrift City have been frequent. Whether the occasion calls for frat shorts and a polo or some new hair curlers, the girls make sure they don’t miss a single detail in their outfits.

Often, they dressed as boys, like when they imitated Disney Channel’s Zack and Cody on twin day. Despite the difference in gender, the duo managed to stay completely in character. Later on, their frat appearances complete with khaki shorts and Sperry shoes got plenty of head turns in the hallways, too. But Tobias and Blackmon were used to it.

On neon day, their green and purple crazy hairstyles complemented their green scrub pants and rainbow socks. Although last year these outrageous clothing choices were met with funny looks, this year their unusual moves are supported by fellow students. They have even developed a social media following on Twitter and Instagram.

“Most everyone is like ‘Dude nice!’ and they love our funny outfits,” Blackmon said.

Teachers also get a good laugh from the spectacle.

“It’s always a treat to see what they’re going to come up with,” government and psychology teacher Emily Worland said. “You can kind of see their evolution of sorts.”

Although the general reaction to the girls’ creativity is usually positive, some outfits were a bit too freaky. On blackout day, the two seniors donned complete black costumes from head to toe, including long cloaks with hoods and black face paint. As they entered the dark gym for the annual blackout pep rally, they were nearly invisible among the other students in the stands. Although it worked great for the pep rally, some teachers saw it as a blatant violation of dress code.

Whether their outfits have been met with criticism, astonishment or praise, Tobias and Blackmon have ultimately become closer friends through their outrageous attire. The laughter from other students and teachers in response to their increasingly crazy outfits was just an added bonus to the true reward that they received. Each other.

“We kind of became friends from dressing up,” Blackmon said. “And it was kind of random too.”

Through plaid shirts and boyish up-dos, face paint and colored hair, the girls have created a friendship through creativity.

The flimsy wire is bent around her head, creating the perfect mouth brace. The jean shorts are pulled up past the belly button, and an old lunchbox rests in her hand. Low ponytails and high pigtails give their hair a disheveled look as they ready themselves for their second spirited nerd day. A year after the beginning of their spirited sisterhood, they still strive to make heads turn.

And as nerd day comes to a close, they pull their baggy pants up and head home. Tomorrow’s outfit will be different, but people will still stare. The giant black Afros that they plan on wearing for sports day will surely be another eye-catcher.