Heart of Marauder Awarded at Volleyball Game

Jacob Fontaine
Amanda Thomas was the Heart of a Marauder recipient for 2015. She received the donations and a bouquet of flowers alongside her son Gage, Coach Cron, and the varsity players.

Amanda Thomas was welcomed to the court as the crowd grew silent. Surrounded by volleyball players and coaches, her smile showed a world of appreciation. The Heart of the Marauder award, given yearly to recipients nominated by the Marcus volleyball program, was awarded to her to aid in her fight with cancer.

Thomas’ diagnosis is a Stage III-A Metaplastic Carcinoma with Chondrosarcoma. Also a single mother to sophomore Gage Faulkner, she has been seen by many in the community as a leader and inspiration.

“To be there and to be able to show her love was an amazing experience for us,” said head volleyball coach Jennifer Cron.

The Marcus volleyball team went around the stadium collecting money with buckets that would contribute to her cancer treatment. Every dollar donated resulted in a red piece of paper being taped onto the wall of the exterior of the arena.  By the end of the night, an entire wall in the arena was solid red.

“The turnout was awesome, being able to create that wall of red in supporting Mrs. Thomas worked out great,” said Cron.

The volleyball players who played a part in choosing the recipient this year were also thankful to have been part of the ceremony preceding one of their last home games.
“This was a new experience for most of us, and I liked the fact that we could help with something so impactful,” said player Morgan Myzk. “The turnout was one of the biggest this year and it really shows how much Marcus cares.”

Vanessa Davis
Amanda Thomas was the Heart of a Marauder recipient for 2015. She received the donations and a bouquet of flowers alongside her son Gage, Coach Jennifer Cron, and the varsity players.
JV players Brooke Hildebrand Jillian Reece begin posting red slips of paper along the walls of the arena. Each slip symbolizes a $1 donation.
Vanessa Davis
JV players Brooke Hildebrand and Jillian Reece begin posting red slips of paper along the walls of the arena. Each slip symbolizes a $1 donation.
 Amanda and her son were appreciative to receive such a donation from the volleyball team and the community
Vanessa Davis
Thomas  and her son were appreciative to receive such a donation from the volleyball team and the community