A call from Washington

Sophomore’s dad works at the White House
Submitted
Ben and Roberto Padilla visit the Red Room of the White House.

Sophomore Ben Padilla stood off to the side as his father held a brief conversation with President Barack Obama. He and his brother Alexander were both nervous.

Ben watched his father, Roberto Padilla, shake the President’s hand before his father introduced him to Ben and his brother. Ben felt the President’s deep voice echo throughout the room as they exchanged greetings. His palms became sweaty and his heart began beating fast.

Ben’s father has one of the most prestigious jobs in the law enforcement field. He’s a secret service agent, who works over 1,300 miles away in Washington, D.C. The life of a Secret Service agent requires a great deal of adaptability, such as being able to relocate to different parts of the country and even the world.

Roberto spends his day following around the Vice President, Joe Biden. He is required to protect the Vice President from harm, cyber crime and all types of fraud. Additionally, at all times has to maintain a high level of physical fitness and health. This has been his job since the 1990’s, working with former Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

After discussing a few topics, Ben’s meet and greet with the President came to an end. Although he didn’t get to take a picture with him due to the no cell phone photography rule, Ben still didn’t take the experience for granted.

“He was so polite,” Ben said. “When you talk to him he makes you feel important.”

Although Ben knew that he was only able to tour the White House because of his dad’s job, he was still ecstatic because he experienced something that most regular kids don’t get to experience.

“Moments like these you never forget,” Ben said. “It’s a once in a lifetime chance.”

It’s extremely important that I speak to my father when I can so we can keep our relationship strong.

— Ben Padilla, 10

While his dad knows the President, his daily job is the physical protection of the Vice President.

Though at times he even spends all day with the Vice President, Roberto’s relationship with the him is strictly professional. In the course of carrying out his responsibilities and being in contact with Joe Biden, he has never crossed the line. He will recognize him every day and occasionally ask him how he’s doing, but keeps in mind that the relationship is not a friendship. A regular one-on-one conversation is not very common. The conversations are short because he has to remain alert to insure the Vice President’s safety.

“We respond politely when engaged in conversation but we never initiate the conversation,” Roberto said.

Roberto is obligated to be wherever the Vice President is at all times, traveling all over the globe. This does mean his kids don’t see him as much, but Ben enjoys hearing different stories about his dad’s adventures.

He’s taken a exclusive rooftop tour of the Familia Sagrada cathedral in Barcelona, gone on a memorable safari in South Africa, toured the Sydney Opera in Australia and examined the priceless artifacts of Rome. His career gives him the opportunity to have the experience of a lifetime.

In addition, he’s had the chance to meet countless Heads of State, politicians, celebrities and different people from all walks of life.

“I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of the most incredibly smart, funny and talented people in some unbelievable locations around the world,” Roberto said.

Even though Ben is the son of someone who holds such a distinguished job, he doesn’t brag about it. He says he has always been a quiet kid, requiring multiple encounters with someone for him to open up. Ben only confides in certain friends, telling them things he wouldn’t tell others. The main person he tells everything to is his father.

Ben opens up and becomes a different person when talking to his dad. When the name “Dad” appears in big white letters on the screen of his phone, Ben will quickly answer, excited to talk to him.

“It’s extremely important that I speak to my dad when I can, so we keep our relationship strong,” Ben said.

When special occasions come up, Roberto will come back home to visit. This past June, he came home for his oldest son Alexander’s high school graduation.

On June 8, the graduating class of 2016 walked the stage to receive their diplomas. Alexander couldn’t have been more excited to have his father there on his special day.

Among 856 other Marcus graduates, Alexander felt like he was the most important.

His whole family watched and cheered as he made his way down the platform, diploma in hand. The family felt complete that evening at the UNT Coliseum with all five family members together.

Simple things that others might take for granted are the the things Ben keeps close to his heart. Most importantly, he treasures every phone call with his dad.

“My dad is my biggest inspiration,” Ben said. “He’s always there when I need him.”