Senior’s future looks ‘all bright’

Holding the letter from the United States Military Academy in his hands, senior Alex Albright knew that this document held the results of the last month’s worth of effort.

His days had consisted of writing essays, obtaining recommendation letters, completing fitness assessments and even acquiring a congressional nomination.

Albright knew what this letter said would not affect his admission into the Academy, but it would affect how he felt about going there. He knew he already was accepted for his baseball career, but he was trying for what was important. His academics.

Opening the letter, Albright’s eyes scanned for those promising words. After reading the document, realization came to him. He made it.

***

The United States Military Academy, known as West Point, offered Albright a baseball contract for his capability he’s shown on the varsity baseball team. This contract would give him the chance to play for the academy’s team for the years he earns his education there. This contract allowed him to skip all of the strenuous admission processes that other applicants had to complete. But he decided not to.

Although Albright was already admitted into West Point for baseball, he didn’t want that to be the sole reason for his entrance into college.

“I did the entire application process just like everybody else,” Albright said. “That was pretty cool. Just knowing that I’m going to go in just like everybody else even though I get to do something I love along with it.”

Albright’s success not only shows on the academic field, but also the playing field. In addition to playing varsity baseball, he’s been on varsity football since sophomore year.

“He works hard,” Sherman said. “He does everything you ask of him and he produces at a high level.”

The offer from West Point was given to Albright over the summer, and even then he was unsure if he wanted to go to the school. After visiting the school, Albright knew that he wanted to go to, but he wanted to get in for his academics, not his athletics. So he started the process that other applicants had started by junior year. While others were given multiple months to complete the application, Albright had to squeeze this process into one month’s time.

During that time, he had to endure many tests that would examine his capability to enter the academy and test the physical demands he was required to enter. He was also obtained a Congressional nomination, which he was awarded by District 26 House Representative Michael Burgess.

“It was pretty cool, because I didn’t even know I was going to get in because I applied as a student, rather than an athlete,” Albright said.

After the lengthy procedure it takes to complete the application for West Point, getting in is still the most tricky part. The acceptance rate for West Point is 9%, which is lower than some of the Ivy League schools, so baseball coach Jeff Sherman said he is proud of Albright for being chosen to attend the school.

“I think it’s awesome, I think it shows a lot of character of the individual who’s going,” Sherman said.

West Point is renowned not only for their academic program, but for their students’ involvement with the Army. Because each student’s education is paid for, the academy calls for students, or cadets, to serve active duty upon graduating.

During the summers at West Point, the officers-in-training are given leadership and teamwork skills that helps to further their experience of serving in the Army. Albright said he is honored to have the chance to fulfill this opportunity.

“It’s cool to think that they want me there supporting our country,” Albright said.

Each year around 1,000 cadets graduate out of the 1,300 admitted. After the academy, students can further their education at another university of their choosing with the rest of their school paid for by funding of the Army.

Albright’s goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon will involve him in many more years of school after the academy. Once he graduates from a medical college, he intends to serve in the Army as a doctor to soldiers. Albright said this exposure will give him the experience he needs to start his journey in the medical field.

“I’m doing this for a purpose, it’s not just for the now, it’s for what am I going to be in the future,” Albright said.